Monday, February 18, 2013

// // 15 comments

Learning Fun for Dr. Seuss' Birthday

I love Dr. Seuss for his creativity, art, and amazing stories that my children can listen to and read over and over and over.  Celebrating his birthday (March 2nd) is like celebrating literacy...and we love it!



Here are three Dr. Seuss book-themed activities for you:

#1:  Footprints with The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss.

Make footprints either by painting your child's feet and letting him print it on paper or by tracing and cutting out footprints.  Compare the footprints--which is longer and shorter, talk about the colors your child chose.  Arrange them in a path (see picture above) and walk on them.  If you're working on number or letter recognition, place printouts of numbers or letters (or sight words!) on top of the footprints and read them as you walk on them.  Play games where you call out numbers or letters and your child races to that footprint.  Tape some to the ceiling and look for "hidden" numbers or letters.  Possible variations are endless!



#2:  Ooblek with Bartholomew and the Ooblek by Dr. Seuss.

"Ooblek" is easy to make, easy to clean, and tons of fun!  Click here to see how to make it and to see ideas for things to do with it.  Also be sure to check out the one-of-a-kind song based on Bartholomew and the Ooblek!




#3:  A Snack Recipe with Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss.

Click here for directions to make these fun, easy, and wiggly snacks!  Have your children help measure the ingredients!



I may share at any of these parties!

15 comments:

Erika ~ Prey Species @ www.preyspecies.com said...

These are super cute and I can't wait to try them :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

You've reminded me I must get cracking on a Dr. Seuss treat! :)

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

Great ideas. Pinned!

Someday I'll Learn said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to have you come link this up to our Teach Me Tuesday Linky - it's brand new and in need of creative contributions! http://www.somedayilllearn.com/2013/02/18/teach-me-tuesday-5/

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun!

Jackie Higgins said...

I love all of the variations for extending the learning! And the snacks are super cute. We'll have to make those for our Seuss birthday party.

Keitha said...

What a fun Dr. Seuss post.

Earning-My-Cape said...

How fun! Dr. Seuss is a favorite of my family! My kids learned to read with Hop on Pop and a few other Dr. Seuss books. If it's fun, they will learn. lol
Thanks for linking to my Super Link Party! I am featuring you at Wednesday's party. I hope you will check it out! :-)

Learn with Play at Home said...

Fun Post! Thanks for linking it to Tuesday Tots. I'll be featuring it on my site this Tuesday. Have a great day :)

Unknown said...

Love all of these Dr. Seuss themed activities. All of them look fun, but I am an Ooblek kind of girl :) Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

The OT Toolbox said...

We are looking for something fun for this week! Thanks for sharing with us at Share It Saturday!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Love the hat snack! What a fun idea =-)

Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT day =-)
Beth

Jackie Higgins said...

Hi! I'm co-hosting Mom's Library this week with TrueAim. I featured these on my blog. http://www.ready-set-read.com/2013/02/dr-seuss-activities-and-moms-library.html
Thanks!
Jackie

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Adorable jiggly snacks!!

Unknown said...

am featuring your post on Share It Saturday this week. Thanks for linking up!